Friday, June 10, 2011

Can’t Use Can’t Throw Away - Art Installations


Every object at home seems to have a story behind it. Even lack of it sometimes becomes one story. Whenever we try to clear out our closet/cupboard/desk/room, most of us take more than required time. Some objects take us to the time when it came into existence in our lives; some take us to the people who gave it. And then there are those objects which wouldn't necessarily do that but you still refuse to discard it. The reason that is cited is “You never know when you might need it”. Through these installation art pieces I try to investigate this sense of belonging to both the kinds - the objects with emotional value and the one with only functional value.



"What if we find something new in it." (Grandfather's book - A guide to Home Amusement, 8'' x 5'')




"It was my 13th B'day." (Grandmother's hand woven woolen purse, 4'' x 5.5'', 2011)




"A spare one can never harm." (A working Stereo Speaker, 7.5'' x 6'', 2011)




"It still looks so cool." (A fatigue cap 12'' X 10'', 2011)




"Just when you need it, you will not find it." (30 pens , Dimensions Variable, 2011)




The space these objects (that have been denied their definite function) occupy is mostly the not-so-easily-seen-corners. It gives us the convenience to look for it whenever we want and keep it out of sight at other times. Through this installation piece I was trying to observe such space in comparison to space that is used more often.


Waiting Room ( objects covered in white cloth in a drawer, 13.5'' x 12'', 2011)




Waiting room (Detail)




Extending my enquiry to this space that is used for the objects which are denied any present use. The following work tries to place the dialogue between the space that is used by unused objects and the space that is not used.


(UN)Occupied

(Dust collected on Canvas over a period of one month except for the space occupied by the different shaped objects, 16'' x 20'')




(UN)Occupied (Detail)




(UN)Occupied (Detail)




(UN)Occupied (Detail)






7 comments:

rajababu said...

Nicely described and narrated day-to-day things.

Poornima Seetharaman said...

Ah, makes me wonder about the things that were thrown away and sometimes that I did myself...

Having said that, I do have a small suitcase packed with some precious memories...

Very rightly said in the first paragraph... happens with everyone and we fail to notice, don't we..

Keep ém coming! :)

D said...

I like, I really really like. You didn't tell me about this on the phone. I'm glad you are finally doing this.

About the piece...

I like how you've taken something that we take for granted--all the junk we keep in the corners of our house hoping we'll never have to deal with it again. But we forget that these things still have a lot of memories and stories attached to them. I'm glad you chose this topic. It is something everyone can relate to. I don't know about anyone else, but I sure want to go look at all my old boxes tucked away somewhere.

Congrats, and best of luck! :)

Aryaa said...

Good work Deeps,
It shows how much thought you have put into it. Not just that but it is also thought provoking. It made me think about my 'personal' space and the unnecessary baggage I carry. I don't know if it was your intention to draw parallels but it does come across as if it was.
Like Mads said, it is something everyone can relate to.
Keep the good work coming. Can't wait to see more :)

Hardika Shah said...

i love the idea of (UN)Occupied ! it not only tlks about the object, the space by also a lot about the person! grt art piece! double like :)

shabnam said...

Your eye for detail and sensitivity amaze me Deepti! Keep at it girl - and thanks a ton for sharing :)

reVeRiE said...

art is inspired by life and you blog is yet another proof to it... for a while i was thiking if it is my life story you were opinionating on or was it the art... close call deeps...makes a lot of sense n forces oneself to wonder if these things really mean something to us or we as humans are just incapable of letting things go...shows who's more in control of things your mind or your heart / logic or emotions...n then there is the question of 'what next' when u hav finally listened to your mind..the empty spaces questions if they will ever be filled again, will the old memories then fade away??? the new ones will again become old some day..so is this how the cirlce of life stays???

As they so truly say 'Change is the only constant thing in life'

deeps you bring the philosopher out in me :-)